Thursday, May 15, 2014

My Family Culture



When I thought about three items I would bring to a new country with a different culture, I didn’t feel like there was anything so essential that I had to bring. I have never been very sentimental about things. My daughter is currently working on a heritage project in her technology class. She asked me if I had something that has been handed down from generation to generation. I laughed because we have nothing like that except our Catholic faith. We have very few if any pictures or decorations in our home. My husband doesn’t like to put holes in the wall, and I not very concerned with visual things. I would bring a Bible so I could share the story of our faith. I would bring a computer, so I could be connected to the world and learn more. I hope they have internet there! I would bring a guitar because they might have a different type of music, and I would like to be able to share music with this culture. My daughters all love to sing, so I bet I could figure out how to play what they were singing.
            If I were told I could only keep one item, I would be disappointed that I couldn’t keep the computer. I wonder if they would have libraries with computers. If they didn’t have internet, however, I might enjoy going back to the simple things in life. I hope they let me keep my Bible at least!
            The main insight I had with this assignment is that the assignment might be more irrelevant to the culture of me, my children, and siblings than it would be to someone who had items that they hold dear and represent their family culture. The other insight is that I would be fearful that I would be persecuted for my beliefs, would lose some rights because I am a woman, and would lose my connection with the rest of the world. I also noticed that I might not mind so much being separated from technology because I crave a simpler life.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth, your thoughts are exactly my thoughts. I would be disappointed also if I was told that I could only take one of my personal belongings with me, after I was told to pick (3) three items. I guess I am just too comfortable in my setting, here in America. I thought as you did, perhaps the new country would offer some of the necessities needed to keep me in contact with my family and friends. This assignment has brought a new insight to my life. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too would bring my bible, a photo album and a recipe book. I love how you stated that you are comfortable in your setting. I am too and it would be hard to give up things when you only have a few things that represent who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are on the same wave length where our original thoughts were all we needed was our family beside us. This part of our culture is (in my opinion) the most valuable to us. To have my family with me is all I need. All other material items I might be heartbroken for a minute but I would get over it and acquire new ones. Thanks for sharing part of your life and culture with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a hard assignment for me to pick three things sentimental to me and a part of my culture. I too am not that sentimental towards many things since I have moved many times in my life and have had to sell a lot. This assignment for me got me thinking about what I did have in my life as a child and how I was once connected more to my culture than I am now. I hope the new country I would be going to did have the means to be connected with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen,

      As an adult, I also have moved many times. Thanks for your response!

      Liz Thomas

      Delete