Tuesday, October 7, 2014

This week I was asked to consider the stages of team development: forming, storming, norming, performing, and adjourning and consider the adjourning phase for several of the groups in whichI have been involved. 

It is hardest to leave groups with which I have worked well. Since I have been married, I have moved many times. The last time I moved, I really didn't want to move. I had become familiar with many of the staff, parents, and children at the YMCA where I worked. Many people were happy I was there. Two of my own children worked there part time and my three youngest children had grown up there as swim demonstration babies.  The other lifeguards were like more older siblings for my three youngest children,  For my adjournment from this team, there was a cake to celebrate and a YMCA gift hoodie as a remembrance.

I think that it is hardest to leave a group if you are not sure who from the group you will see again. In my master's clsses, I have seen several familiar names throughout my time, but I took many breaks, and that makes teh adjournment easier. Lately, I have been wondering who will be going on to teaching adults in the early childhood field with me. I think it is important that we do share contact information, so that we can support each other in the early childhood field.  I plan to leave contact info in week eight. Adjourning is important to prevent a feeling of disconnectedness from the world in general.  It highlights the importance of relationships we have formed along the way. 

4 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,
    I also feel strongly about sharing contact info with my colleagues here at Walden, especially the closer I get to graduation. I think it would be a shame to lose such a strong knowledgebase of professionals who can continue to support one another as we continue our professional journeys beyond the "walls" at Walden. I thought it might be a good idea to set up a Walden ECE Alumni Facebook page to create a mutual forum to share our successes, challenges, and to just pop in and say, "Hello!"

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,

    I believe that you have a well thought out post. It was very inspirational and I look forward to keep in touch with our colleagues as well. This has been the most inspirational group I have worked with. All of the communication has been positive and supportive. I have had a much better experience with this school than I did with my other online school. I find that everyone is on the same page and as educators we all have the same goal which is early childhood development. Best wishes!
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a great class, Erica! I have appreciated the quantity and variety of experiences shared in this class.

    Thanks, Erica We all need to do the Facebook page or something similar as Pamela said.

    ReplyDelete