Saturday, January 26, 2013

My Childhood Web: Marge



Marge is another sister that was important to me growing up. I remember once, when I was about 5, my mom made summer outfits for Marge and me. I wanted mine to be exactly like Marge’s so we would look like twins. Marge didn’t like this at all because she was older than me and she was very sensitive about how short she was. When Marge was an adult, she was 4’8” full grown. Throughout our years growing up, I just didn’t seem to be able to keep myself from irritating Marge. I wasn’t a very clean or organized person. One time, there were pillows on the floor and while I was likely thinking about something else, I stepped on the pillows and kept on walking. It made Marge so mad, just like many mothers would also be mad, that I wouldn’t just pick up the pillows.
The years went on and I had a vague notion that Marge didn’t like me but didn’t really know why. Then on March 11, 1982, I was hit by a Winnebago and spent two months on a respirator for two collapsed lungs. When I was in the hospital, I was surprised to find out who visited me and who did not. For example, my best friend, I found out later, did not visit me because she was angry at me for being in an accident. My brother, Joe, fainted the first day and never came to see me, and a male acquaintance from my church youth group came frequently and shared music and comedy recordings with me. Marge was also a frequent visitor. When I could talk, as opposed to all the writing I did while in the hospital, I asked Marge why she came so much. At this time, or perhaps a little later, I found out that Marge didn’t like me because I seemed to be happy all the time even when she would be upset. For example, in high school, I was overweight and that would have made her upset. In high school, I also did not get along so well with my parents and that would have also bothered her.
When I was hurt on March 11, Marge prayed that I would live. I think she may have been thinking that it would not make her happy for a happy person to die while a person who was always worried or upset about something like herself would live.  I did end up living and after that we had a better relationship. Marge always had wanted to get married and have a big family just like my mom, and she was always worried about meeting nice boys despite her height. I, on the other hand was planning, even after my accident, to be a famous singer and travel around the world. The last time I talked to Marge, I told her that I would be getting married. I was nervous that she would be jealous, but she was very happy. Marge was in the hospital at the time for colon problems. Another weekend, I came to see my family and Marge was in the hospital again to have her iliostomy bag removed. I had planned to see Marge on my way home, and I suddenly realized on my way home that I was passing the hospital. I decided not to turn back. It turned out that Marge forgot to take out a tampon while she was in the hospital and got toxic shock syndrome. Marge died on March 11, 1984. It turned out that I got the life that Marge had been looking for. I had the big family. I wonder what Marge is thinking now.

No comments:

Post a Comment