Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Driving while Black and my Invisible Privileges



Driving While Black and my Invisible Privileges
                I have experienced bias in my favor a couple times in the last five years. Twice in the last five years, I have been pulled over for having out dated registration tags. I have learned since then that the police officers were granting me my invisible privilege when they did not give me tickets. I have become aware in several classes at Walden University that many people who are Black have been pulled over simply for driving while black, and have had to endure degradation and financial hardship even when they had done nothing wrong. In contrast with this, I had done something wrong but did not receive a ticket. The story of one of my classmates follows:
I was driving on expressway I-240 on my way home. They were doing some construction on the road. I was on the telephone and made my regular routine turn onto an incoming street. Immediately, I was flagged down by the police officer. I came to a complete stop, shortly afterward. The officer jumped into his car, speeding with the lights on. The officer asked why I came onto the road. I explained that there was no road block sign stating that the road was closed. He yelled at me, stating that you could have killed someone.  Again, I stated to that officer, there should have been a road block sign up, indicating do not enter or road closed sign. The officer placed me in handcuffs, placed me in the back of his car, got into the car with me, and started to use very harsh words. He drove the car off into a very dark alley and continued yelling. I was so afraid; I did not know what to do. I had never been in a police car, ever. He held me in the car for about 3 (three hours).
Not only is this situation inequitable financially, but after so many similar situations throughout his life, my classmate probably has to remind himself daily that there is no reason that he should be treated inequitably. Last week, I heard many similar stories involving police officers and people who are Black. It is apparent that the law enforcement system in our country is a very biased institution. Police departments throughout the country need to reeducate police departments about diversity and about the damage they are causing to people through their prejudicial actions.
Now I feel guilty for not getting tickets. I am also relieved that I am not the one who was held for three hours. It is very random that Black people are the ones being tortured. Our places could easily have been reversed if history had taken a different course. Guilt without action is not worth much, so hopefully my guilt will motivate me to speak out more about the random inequity that occurs in “the land of the free and the home of the brave.”
                I have to go and pay my registration for this year now. I am late again. I haven’t been stopped by a police officer yet.

7 comments:

  1. Elizabeth I like what you said about “Police departments throughout the country need to reeducate police departments about diversity and about the damage they are causing to people through their prejudicial actions.” I also admire what you said about “your motivation to speak out more in regards to racism.” I hope that this really will inspire you to do so because it is always occurring.


    References

    Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela,

    Thanks and thanks for the reminder. If your discussion last week was anything like ours, there was plenty of evidence just in that one discussion of how bad the problem really is.

    Liz Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,
    I remember reading that post about our fellow classmate getting pulled over and was outraged. The stereotypes and negative words against black people in some areas are horrible. I say in some areas because I know from my own experiences living in many different towns and states that some areas are more prejudice than others. It is a shame that some people believe they are inferior to other races and have to watch their every move just because they are the minority. This class has inspired me and motivated me to speak out against discrimination and prejudice towards the 'non-dominant' group like myself even more than I was before. I knew there was biases against others but what I have read so far takes it to another level. Isn't it a shame there are so many inequities in 'the land of the free and the home of the brave'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristen,
    I have also had the experience of prejudice being much worse in some places. Thanks for your response.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth,
    It was nice reading about your empathy towards Black people. This is important because you actually know that you are privileged. I feel privileged too because I am female and even though I am a Black female, I have never been pulled over. I do have the perk of working for the NYPD that gives me an extra feeling of ease as I travel but we should all have that calm feeling. That was a travesty that happened to our classmate and in the end I believe that justice will prevail.
    Diversity should be taken more seriously in our police training. The officers here do one day of training of diversity at the Apollo Theater in Harlem. That is it. The majority of our officers come from Long Island where they have NEVER spoke with, interacted with or even were exposed to diversity. They graduate the academy and are placed in neighborhoods that are usually 100% minority and lower classed. Just makes no sense at all. If I were in charge I would make it a rule that new officers had to live in the 5 boroughs. At least each borough while some live in exclusivity, many are exposed daily to diversity. Not understanding another's culture or behavior leads to disaster sometimes. Great post!! Now go get that registration. loll

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did get the registration! I also think that police officers should have to take a whole diversity class as part of training just like people of many other professions do in order to graduate. I am glad to get some information from you about how much training they actually get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, thanks for the post. I really enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete