Sunday, April 9, 2017

International Organizations and International Jobs


FHI 360

               I chose FHI 360 for one of my international organizations. The web address is www.fhi360.org . I chose this organization because their mission and vision resonated with me, because one of their focuses is in research, and because one of their projects was “The Center for Parent Information and Resources.” Their mission statement is this: “To improve lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions for human development.”

I looked in their careers for one that involved research and information for parents. I didn’t see one like this although I would be interested in a job like that. There were opportunities for interns and consultants that I might be interested in. For consultants, the requirement was to have specialized skill or knowledge. This would be a position I might be interested in especially since the site explained that the consultant would be responsible for his or her own work environment. I would love to be able to work from home! Unfortunately, after looking over the site, I could foresee that there might differences in personal ethics; however, it might be possible to work on a project in which I would agree with the organization.

Catholic Relief Services

               I might also like to work for Catholic Relief Services as a 4Children Uganda Project Director. 4Children is a program to strengthen families, prevent AIDS, and help orphans. This job sounded interesting because it was with a Catholic organization and I would really be helping children; however, it would be very difficult for me to work in Uganda, for which a job was posted, because I don’t think my husband would agree to go as a family with me and our children.

               Here are some of the requirements for this job:

“Master’s degree in Sociology, Social Work, Public Health, International Development, or a related field.

10+ years of experience in programs focused on OVC and/or child protection programming; experience with parenting/family strengthening programs, case management approaches and social service systems strengthening strongly preferred.

There was also a very long list of what CRS hoped the candidate had already accomplished in his or her career. Here is a link to that job: https://www5.apply2jobs.com/CRS/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=3196&CurrentPage=1



International Step by Step Association (ISSA)

I liked that they had online trainings.

ISSA offers the following services:

    Capacity Building - ISSA provides opportunities for enriching members’ capacity to carry out innovative programs: workshops, thematic meetings, member exchanges, technical assistance and license to resources developed by ISSA.    

    Community Building - ISSA promotes shared values in the network and links the membership into a strong international learning community across Europe and Central Asia.    

    Amplifier - ISSA supports advocacy for change, actions and interventions serving ISSA’s mission on behalf of young children and their families.   

    Convener - ISSA provides its members with network representation and support for building partnerships with international networks and other stakeholders.  From http://www.issa.nl/content/issa-services



ISSA offers online courses and trainings in the following areas:



    Early Childhood Development

    Quality in Early Childhood Education

    Quality in Home Visiting Services

    Embracing Diversity

    Second Language Learning   http://www.issa.nl/content/issa-campus



UNESCO

This is UNESCO’s mission: UNESCO’s mission is to contribute to the building of peace, the eradication of poverty, sustainable development and intercultural dialogue through education, the sciences, culture, communication and information. The Organization focuses, in particular, on two global priorities.


I chose to look up UNESCO because it is part of the United Nations, and I heard so much about the United Nations when I was in elementary school.

There were jobs posted, but they were not related to early childhood, and they were in Paris, France.

13 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,

    Thanks for sharing the organizations. I really like the work 4Children organization is doing. It is important to understanding that children are not asked to be orphans and someone needs to be able to take care of them. I like the fact that teach others about AIDS and promote prevention especially in countries who have little medical benefits. Great post.

    Sharonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharonda!

      You are so right! This is good to remember. They don't ask to be poor or be orphans. I am currently help a little girl in Haiti to go to school through an organization called Food for the Poor. I am glad I can do this, but it feels like so little considering how many children have difficulty getting to school or getting a meal.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,

    I truly enjoyed reading your discussion post this week. That you for sharing the international organization of interest and the job opportunities available. The International Step by Step Association (ISSA) especially was an interest of mine as well. Thank you for sharing the job offers and learning opportunities through this organization. I will definitely refer back to these organization when looking for internal job positions. I do have one question, What does FHI 360 stand for? Best of luck on your educational journey.

    -Tia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tia,
      FHI 360's main initiative is preventing HIV, so FHI stands for Fighting Human Immunodeficiency. Although this is their main focus, they work toward other things like equalizing the education of males and females. This is probably a more general way to fight HIV.

      Thanks for your response!

      Delete
  3. Liz,
    I enjoyed reading your post! I also wrote about the International Step by Step Association. I also liked they offered online trainings. The FHI 360 organization sounded interesting as well. Working from home would be great. You mentioned differences in personal ethics. I was wondering what gives you this idea. I am sure it is something you do not agree with they "do". I was just wondering if you want to share. If it is too personal, I understand. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz,
    I enjoyed reading your post! I also wrote about the International Step by Step Association. I also liked they offered online trainings. The FHI 360 organization sounded interesting as well. Working from home would be great. You mentioned differences in personal ethics. I was wondering what gives you this idea. I am sure it is something you do not agree with they "do". I was just wondering if you want to share. If it is too personal, I understand. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,
      Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the post! FHI 360 advocates the increase in "use of modern contraceptive methods." I, on the other hand advocate http://www.creightonmodel.com/ . This is a model that does not use chemical means for family planning. Here is a link to a video from Culture of Life Africa: http://cultureoflifeafrica.com/meet-uju.html . I have heard Uju speak about how preventing life is very much against the culture within which she grew up in Africa.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  5. Elizabeth,
    I had not heard of FHI360 or 4children, thank you for sharing information about those organizations. I understand not having the ability to go out of country to help children. I am sure the more you research the easier it will become to find ways you can help children internationally from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,

      Thank you for the encouragement that I would be able to help children internationally from home! It made me think that if I had a habit of reading up on international children's issues on a daily or weekly basis, I would eventually find a way to help.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Elizabeth,

    I was unfamiliar with www.fhi369.org so I look forward to learning more about this. I think it would be useful to my capstone project and look forward to researching more in depth. The Catholic Relief Services also interested me as this issue is dear to my heart. Thank you for sharing such a great post this week.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura,

    It is actually fhi360.org. I will have to edit that address. One thing that they promote is education of women in Africa. In some places in Africa, many more boys are educated than girls.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz,
    The Catholic Relief Services does sound pretty interesting, and yes, Uganda is pretty far. I wonder if they have considered offering services via internet, such as programs by video, or webinars of some sort that could help others through their services or those that are interested in employment. If not, I believe that could be something that could be considered in the future. you shared some very great international organizations, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diedra,
    Thanks for your ideas and encouragement for me to find an online job!

    ReplyDelete