Friday, September 5, 2014

A Model Communicator




A Model Communicator

     When asked about a person I admire for communication skills, I thought of my son.  As I read the materials this week, I thought about how genuine care and concern for others and the belief that others are caring are two things that are important to ethical communication. It is obvious that my son cares about the people he communicates with. Once he was put in a situation in which he was asked to chose sides between two men.  He was kind to both men, but refused to take sides. I have also noticed that, like some other men I know, my son refuses to gossip. I sometimes find excuses to talk about what is bothering me about other people, but my son only talks kindly. Having thought about these things, I have now decided to work toward always talking kindly and to always remember when working with parents that although we might disagree, the parents care about their children more than I do. Right now, I am blessed to agree most of the time with the two families I work with.


2 comments:

  1. I will have to admit I was a bit shocked that you put your son's name down. Although I know that we learn from various people in our lives, I usually learn how I do not want to communicate in the future with my interactions with my children.

    It sounds as though you have raised a very good gentleman whom genuinely cares about people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has eight sisters and no brothers. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? ;)

    ReplyDelete