Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The NAEYC Code of Ethics and my Professional Life: Ideal 1.10


The NAEYC Code of Ethics and my Professional Life: Ideal 1.10

Ideal 10 in the NAEYC ethics code’s first section, the section related to responsibilities to children, says that early child hood professionals should “ensure that each child’s culture, language, ethnicity, and family structure are recognized and valued in the program”.

This ideal has been an ideal that I have learned a lot about since I began working with young children in day cares about four years ago. It is important to me because I realize that I would want my culture respected if I were the parent allowing my child to be taught or cared for by someone who is not part of my culture. This ideal has also caused me to take a lot of consideration in how I care for children because my own values and beliefs about child care could conflict with a parent’s culture. Ultimately, however, I have found that if I am open to the parents’ wishes and also offer parents information about effective ways to care for children, the parents are as willing to be flexible as I am, so that worrying is something I am more likely to do before I have brought up a difference of opinion or culture with parents

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, this ideal often times scares me as I plan to take on the challenge of being a teacher. One of my main goal is to build healthy relationships with the parents and families of each child. I want to be able to handle the challenge of making other families who have different beliefs and cultures as myself feel comfortable with communicating with me. It was great reading that when you were open to the parents wishes, they were flexible with you. That is something I will take into consideration as I think of ways to stay connected with the parents. Thanks alot! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Latasha,

    I am glad I put you at ease. It really does seem that we all have more in common than not. The parents also seem to realize that we all are not going to think exactly alike. Additionally, parents sometimes are grateful to hear about what my education has taught me.

    ReplyDelete