Thursday, February 21, 2013

The NAEYC Code of Ethics and my Professional Life: Ideal 3A.1


The NAEYC Code of Ethics and my Professional Life: Ideal 3A.1

In regards to a professionals responsibility to co-workers, the NAEYC code 3A.1 states that early childhood professionals should strive to “establish and maintain relationships of respect, trust, confidentiality, collaboration, and cooperation with co-workers.”

This is an ideal that I need to consider every day as I work with the class room teacher for who I am an assistant. Respect involves respecting the culture of other colleagues. In my daily work, I balance my ideas about the amount of time I feel children should spend in play with the idea that as a Mexican American my teacher may have a view of education that is slightly different from mine. I also consider that her idea of education is likely to be similar to that of the children’s parents, who are Latino. I also have respect for the many years my colleague has been teaching. At the same time, I need to keep in mind that the pressures of No Child Left Behind may affect all of us and part of collaborating with my teacher may include a discussion on not letting the pressure of assessments change our mode of teaching.

3 comments:

  1. I like this ideal. I agree that we should all work together and help each other. If we have great professional relationships with our co-workers/colleagues, that alone could make our job easier. I have seen co-workers who did not get along. It was obvious when they were in the same room. If I could recognize it, I am sure the students did as well. We have to set good examples for our students/children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley,

    Thanks. We are always going to encounter people that are not exactly like we are. It is great for children to learn from our example how to deal with this.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post!
    I strongly agree that as colleagues we need to ensure that respect trust and confidentiality among others are maintained. I have seen first hand how relationships fall apart when these principles are not adhere to. The learners are the ones who end up feeling the pinch.

    ReplyDelete